Sunday, May 13, 2012

Revision 3


I haven’t seen Nicole since yesterday, and as usual she takes up probably about 60% of my mind the other 40% dedicated equally to work, food, and working out. I haven’t Seen Jeremiah in a few days, I should probably go check if he is still alive tonight, that old soul, give him a bottle of whiskey and an instrument, and he’ll play all damn night.

I waited around my house till it got dark out, I was hoping that Nicole would show, but she must’ve been busy. It was around 8:30 and I hadn’t had a bite to eat or a single drink in me yet. So I headed out on a goodie run for some studio time with Jeremiah.

I got there and there he was strumming his guitar singing with his case open for donations. He should be called Old Faithful not Jeremiah.

That night I sang with a passion I have never sung before, I sang with a soul I didn’t know I had within me, I sang with the old weary spirit, crooning, and swooning, groaning and moaning. We had the largest crowd that we had ever gathered. There must’ve been over fifty people just watching us on the street. I looked into the crowd and saw that same familiar face, all covered up listening to the music, wrapped up in her coat and sunglasses, it looked like it might rain tonight so that coat was a good call. I looked at her one more good time before I was sucked back into the music. She moved her head ever so slightly, nodded it to the beat, in such a familiar way that it spoke to me, it made the music take over, Otis Redding, “Change Gonna Come”.

“I was born by the river, oh my
In this little old tent, oh
Just like this river
I've been runnin' ever since
It's been a long, long time comin'
But i know, but i know
A change has gotta come now
Oh yes it is now, oh my, oh my, oh my”


Jeremiah was strumming the guitar, strumming the chords of the soul, I looked up for a second and the mysterious lady was now front and center, watching us perform. We continued, strumming, singing, we continued to let the music flow from our souls.

I looked up at the end of the number and there she was. Nicole, she had taken of her huge sunglasses, coat, and hat, let her hair out, and cracked her beautiful smile.

“I told you id see you soon”

She handed me a copy of the newspaper,

“What is this?”

“Its tomorrows, look at the cover”

There right on the front cover of tomorrow’s paper, was me and Jeremiah, strumming and singing, emptying our souls on the street corner. “Souls of the Street” By Nicole Spores.
“So you were the familiar stranger all along” Nicole nodded and smiled, blushing.

“I brought someone here too to see the show, I hope you don’t mind.” Out of the framework of the crowd comes the CEO of my record label, The D. Piddy.

“Hey yo Ster, that shits tight, I want you in the studio tomorrow, you’re ready my man you’re ready!” He grabbed my hand, did the classic bro to bro, hand clasp, hug, pat on back, then separate. Wow, I finally fucking did it.  “Nicole sent me recordings of you singing on the street, and said I needed to come check you out, and I like what I heard, ill talk to you  more in the morning, Studio 8:00 be there. Oh and bring your friend here too” We shook hands, said “Peace” and I gave him the copy of the paper, I wanted to save my glory for tomorrow, we chatted a little more then He left, and that was it, I got my job back. I have only spoken with him on various occasions and I have got to say, that was by far the best convo we have had. I could finally go back to the studio with Jessie and be Me.

I didn’t say anything to Nicole, she was my savior, she was everything I could have asked for. She filled the void in my life when I needed her most, and made my problems disappear, hopefully one day I can do the same for her.

I just pulled her in tight. I told Jeremiah to play something sweet and low for us, and he did. We did some lazy swaying, she rested her head on my chest. A couple people tipped us, a couple walked by saying get a room already, whatever, I didn’t give a fuck.

Suddenly Nicole looked up at me, but I was already looking down at her. Slowly our heads moved together in unison, eyes closed, lips moist, her wet hair was getting stuck to her face, then, suddenly out of nowhere, a crack of thunder. Lightning followed immediately after, streaking the sky. It was beautiful yet powerful. Suddenly the air moistened and began to smell like rain until, the sky opened up and a down pour started, drenching everything. Jeremiah was still sitting on the corner strumming his soul, singing in the rain.

“Well I hate to rain on our parade but… it looks like it’s raining on our parade” said Nicole, giggling “Got an Umbrella?”

She smiled, I smiled back. I pulled her close and looked into her eyes.

“This aint a parade anymore, its just me, you and the music.”

The rain picked up, but that just made us get closer, she kissed me and bit my lip, I got her right back. All the while, Jeremiah was still strumming his soul, singing in the rain.

“Ooh it's been so long
It's been so long, a little too long
But a change has gotta come
I'm so tired, so tired of suffering
And standing by myself
And standing up alone
But a change has gotta come
You know and i know
You know that i know
That i know that you know, honey
That a change is gonne come, oh my...”

No comments:

Post a Comment